I worked really hard this last week to try and maintain my language learning rhythm even though work was crazy and I was exhausted most of the time. I just knew that as soon as I let myself slide, that would be the beginning of the end, so I'm glad to say I was able to overcome the hump. I managed to do everything on the list, in spite of the busy week I had...I am so very proud of myself indeed!
Anyway on to this week's review.
- Done! They play a lot of English songs, which is starting to annoy me, but I've started making sure that I listen on the hour when they say the news. Half of the time I have no clue what they're on about, but every once in a while I get a snippet of information. One of my exchange partners, sent me a load of Youtube videos with German music, and T played me an easy rap song which I could sing along to, yesterday. So I'm definitely working on the listening.
- Done too! I met Cathy on Wednesday for about 2 hours and then Hanna on Friday also for 2 hours. We're still speaking a lot of English at the moment, and it's beginning to bother me a bit, but my goal this week is to up the German. I had a short German conversation with my MIL yesterday too. It was on the phone, and only for about 2minutes before we switched to English, but as they say, every little helps!
- Kind of done. Although I didn't write any long pieces, I actually did A LOT of German writing this last week. I sent lots of texts/whatsapp messages/comments/etc., all in German. I figured this is just as important since those are the skills you need in real life. The best thing about this kind of writing is that I get responses almost immediately, forcing me to more spontaneous and intuitive with my writing. No more re-reading the message 100 times!
- Done! I read the children's book above, and I enjoyed/completely understood it. I recently discovered a website by a German children's author who has so kindly made his out of print books available for download free of charge. I will be alternating between this and the newspapers.
- Done! I did only one chapter this week because I was super tired, but I tried to ensure that I absorbed the lesson thoroughly.
- Done! And I've recently added exercises by Deutsch Akademie to the mix, as it has a lot more grammar. I do exercises on either of the apps, as soon as I've got a few minutes free.