With the kind of week I've had since Monday, I knew I obviously wasn't going to be able to do everything on the list. At the beginning of the week, I listened a lot to the radio, wrote the first draft of my weekly email and did some very unmotivated grammar studying. In spite of this however, by Thursday, I realised that I was in danger of falling behind and failing to achieve my goals. So basically between Thursday evening and Sunday night I worked really hard to try to get every task ticked off, but it was too little, too late. As our naija people like to say, body no be leather....
Anyway on to this week's review.
Au Revoir and Lass uns gehen are both German!
- Done! I literally spent hours listening to the radio this week. I found a couple of new stations - Bayern 2, B5 aktuell and Deutschlandfunk. These are talk stations and they have a lot of culture/news/documentaries, just the way I prefer my radio. I listened even when I was poorly, since it requires no energy or effort. I particularly enjoyed the kindermagazin which was very easy for me to follow. As for BRF(the Belgian German station), I have kept it because although I have no internet access on my phone, I'm able listen to it on my walk to work. As a result of this I've discovered 2 songs which I really like (and 3 others by British singers!). I've downloaded the lyrics, bought the songs and been singing along all weekend ;)
- Kind of done. Cathy cancelled and I felt rubbish so I didn't re-schedule. However, I met Hanna on Friday for almost 3 hours. We are similar and get along, so it's easy to chat/laugh the time away. I spoke a lot more German this time, and we were both very pleased with my progress. On Thursday, I also did a sort of conversation practice with J from Ibibio Girl (with her husband in the background, helping).
- Done! I wrote another email to MIL, and even I could see and feel the improvement. The words seemed to flow naturally out of me, and I only really had to look up 2 words. When I corrected it with my conversation exchange partner, I realised it was of course full of errors, but I felt encouraged because it was already so much better than the first email. And most importantly my MIL said she understood everything! I also completely got the reply she wrote me and did not need to use the dictionary once :)
- Not done. I read/practised the lyrics from the two songs above, and read a couple of lines of a book by Franz Kafka. Honestly though, I was very unmotivated for this task so I'm hoping for inspiration this week.
- Done...ish! I did my one chapter, but it was only to fulfil all righteousness. I can't even remember what I studied :(
- Not done. I think I must have practised a total of 4times on both apps this week.
Last week was a mixed bag, but I guess that's normal with language learning...I'm hoping this week will be more successful sha. Oh and I'm planning to do a short post next week in German, with the English translation obviously ;)